Friday, April 7, 2017

Event tonight!

I am pleased to announce that we will be having a panel discussion tonight on race in the Church. I spoke this afternoon on WPJM (Greer) with Dr. Ronald Barton, who is helping to organize the panel. The discussion grows out of my interviews with Pastor Darian Blue, and the event will be at his church, Nicholtown Missionary Baptist, at 7 pm tonight.

Please join us! The event will be live streamed on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/OwenCrewblog/ . I will interview the participants for an hour to an hour and a half, and then we will open it up for questions from the audience.

*****Update: unfortunately, no one showed up except Dr. Barton. Dr. Barton did not want to do an interview without the others. This failure on my part was a learning experience for me. However, we are in much better shape now for rescheduling the panel discussion.

After saying goodbye to Dr. Barton, I crashed a meeting at the Phillis Wheatley Center that Pastor Blue was having with some non-profit leaders. I was able to meet Darian Blue's executive assistant, with whom I had not had the pleasure of working previously. She is handling the scheduling for the panel, and I have been assured that she is very reliable. I also met two black pastors who were not aware of the planned panel discussion, and they expressed an interest in participating. I met several of the non-profit leaders, and I expect much to come from our networking tonight.

Though my hastily planned event tonight did not go according to plan, once more I had the opportunity of seeing God in His Providence work things out better than I could have planned. I know some people were praying, and I believe those prayers were answered.

I had one final bit of encouragement: Serena Yates, from Nicholtown Baptist, was leaving just as I arrived at the center. She did not hear about the panel discussion until too late, but she is very excited. She promised that with more notice next time, she will aggressively promote the event. I hope others will do the same.

I am very encouraged. Have a fantastic evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment