Wednesday, November 9, 2016

What does #NeverTrump mean now?

If you looked at my social media posts this morning, especially Facebook, you must have wondered whether I was schizophrenic: give Trump the benefit of the doubt or create a new political home for the conservative movement? Which is it? Should we hope he succeeds or move aggressively to block what we believe will be his dangerous agenda?

To be honest, in the excitement and brain fog of 1, 2, and almost 3 this morning, I wasn't completely aware of what I was posting. I knew what resonated with me, and I knew whose views were significant, but I can't say I had worked out the details of my position under a Trump presidency. I didn't spell this out, but you could read my posts as saying, "This is what important people are saying about what has just happened."

The time to figure a position out is now. I say this not only for myself, but for others who share my principles and concerns. There is no manual for this situation we find ourselves in. We have Scripture, we have theology, we have history, and we have political philosophy, but we must find a way to weave these together to make sense of and respond to this moment.

What does it even mean to be conservative anymore? How can you view Trump's proposed reforms without sympathy? How can you on the other hand give the wheel of the conservative movement to someone without principle? How can you become part of such a messy revolution? How can you start a revolution of your own without jeopardizing the stability of institutions and purposes that is so key to true conservatism?

These are questions to which a simple understanding of the general right attitude toward government and government leaders does not provide ready answers. It is a little scary that there isn't time for a lot of deliberation about the general direction to take. But that's life, right? You have to take not only your principles but your instincts and apply them to new situations. Sometimes you have to take your position first and spell out your rationale later. As risky as that is, I think that is basically where I find myself now. I will try to explain my general direction and put it in the context of what other #NeverTrump #NeverHillary people are saying and doing.

1. I count myself as a member of the loyal opposition. I respect the office of president, and I respect the institutions of our government. I am willing to work with Trump or any elected leader on issues that are of mutual concern, but I am not in Trump's political tribe. I will not seek Trump's removal from office unless and until he does something in office that merits his removal. He has requested advice from people who did not vote for him, and I will give him advice.

2. The opposition needs a political home. We should focus on building a durable structure with a strong foundation rather than on throwing something up immediately. Organizing the conservative resistance into the leadership of one political party is a medium range, not a short range goal. We have to get this right. In the short term, we should exchange ideas, support independent candidates, build and strengthen institutions, and form coalitions. We should keep open the option of reforming the GOP, but we must actively work to have a viable replacement ready as soon as possible. The timetable and agenda for reforming the GOP must be set by conservatives who put reforming the political system first. That means not waiting for the GOP to get its act together before putting up an alternative.

3. Cooperation must be rooted in principle, and principles must be rigorously applied. I plan to learn as much as I can and influence as many people as I can. Others should do the same. This is how populist nationalism and progressivism will be defeated.

4. There must be free discussion of principles and ideas. In order to promote this, I plan to do some of my writing anonymously. I would encourage anyone who may have significant contributions to make either to political discourse or to the conservative movement to do the same.

In my next post, I will address President-elect Trump.

No comments:

Post a Comment