Thursday, October 22, 2020

From My Correspondence: "Stunned and Utterly Surprised"

 Since my endorsement of Joe Biden earlier this month, I have received quite a bit of pushback. Some of it has been public, and some has been private. I recently received a message on Facebook from an old friend. She said,


"Owen, I normally would never mention anything about politics and candidates running in an election to anyone except family. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as they vote or endorse a candidate. But today I have been quite burdened because of some comments in something you recently posted. You said you were voting for Joe Biden. I was stunned and utterly surprised. I am not sure how a Christian could back someone that not only backs godless agendas but also attacks those opposed to those agendas. How can you believe that it is in the best interest of our nation for a utterly godless man to be our President? Do you not think he will continue on in the ways of the Obama administration and pull our country down both morally and economically? Do you not see him as a puppet to those that desire only wickedness? 


I know President Trump is not a perfect man. But he has accomplished many things in these past four years. He has sought advice from godly men and a Vice President that though he is Roman Catholic seems to make some profession of faith. 


Who you vote for is a personal decision. It should also be backed by some definite conviction. I know some dislike Trump almost with a hatred. But, at his worst, Trump is a better choice for our great nation than Biden is at his best. I trust you have sought advice and counsel from others that are wise and knowledgeable. I do ask you to pray before your open Bible and ask the Lord to direct you in this decision. What would a good and gracious God want for this nation? A man that backs murdering the unborn, sides with those that go against God’s word when it comes to sexuality, a man that is a liar and a thief? Think about it and pray. I know others have probably said the same things to you. But my burdened heart felt the need to just bring these thoughts before you. You don’t need or have to respond to this for I am not one to get into political conversations to cause enmity. Im simply asking you to pray and ask the Lord to give direction and a humble heart. 


Love to your family. 


Mrs. X"


I replied:

"Dear Mrs. X,


Thank you for sharing your concern with me. I understand not normally talking about politics outside of family. There are so many less controversial things that people can connect over, and it is easy for feelings about politics to put relationships at risk. It must have taken a lot of courage for you to bring your concerns to me, and I appreciate your sensitivity in expressing them.

I have written here, here, and here with my thoughts about the election and about voting for Biden. If you have not read each of these, they may give you some perspective on where I am coming from.

I definitely agree that Biden's role in the Obama administration is reason for concern. The Obama administration was cruel, corrupt, and lawless, and a Biden administration may well be also. I don't know that I would characterize Biden as a puppet, but he definitely has some evil views and influences. He is not known for being especially honest.

I think where we differ most is in our views on President Trump. I do not see him as a good man. I do not see him as a safe man for Christians or for the nation. And I do not agree with your assessment that "at his worst, Trump is a better choice for our great nation than Biden is at his best." At worst, I think that Biden might be as bad as Trump. That is more a reflection on Trump's character and competence than Biden's.

In 2015 and 16, alert and informed Christians sounded the alarm about Trump. They warned about his casual dishonesty, his racism, his admiration for authoritarian governments, his cruelty and disrespect, and his lack of attention to the information a president needs to do his job. In some ways, the president has outperformed expectations, but overall what we saw was what we got.

For some reason, older Christians tended to be less able to see Trump's flaws and their importance than younger Christians. This is incredibly discouraging for these young Christians, many of whom have already developed the same moral revulsion and distress for the Left's agenda as older Christians tend to have. We don't want to be seen as supporting the things that we hate, and we love our fathers, mothers, and church and ministry leaders. We want to be able to rely on their judgment, including their moral judgment. Many of us feel less confident in that judgment now, especially when it comes to politics.

This is not a new problem. I know a dear brother who is a teacher at a Christian college. He grew up under Carl Macintyre's ministry, and he was so incensed by Macintyre's approach to politics that he avoided politics for his whole life. The first time he voted, he voted against Donald Trump in 2016. He finally found a politician who revolted him more than politics itself. This avoidance of politics among young Christians is a danger that Russell Moore, head of the SBC's Ethics and Religious Liberty Committee has been warning about since the 2016 election.

I did not vote for Hillary Clinton in 2016. I actually had a friendly debate by video chat over which third-party or independent candidate was most worthy of support. I can see someone doing that in 2020. I just happen to feel that the moral and strategic arguments for supporting Biden, who has a chance of beating Trump, are better. I think that Biden has some good ideas and qualities, and this election is a rare opportunity to give them closer consideration. Opposing him or trying to change his mind on some policies after endorsing him would definitely have risks, but it seems likely to me to present legitimate opportunities that would outweigh the risks.

Of course Trump could still win, and we would have to adjust again to that reality. I would rather adjust to it as someone who stands on principle than as someone who is willing to pay almost any price for access and favor. Win or lose, I hope that frank words between friends and fellow-Christians would not harm our relationships.

The Left hates Trump just as, with important exceptions, it hates you and me. Sooner or later, there will be meaningful retaliation for actual and perceived wrongs against the Left and those it cares about. When that time comes, I would rather suffer as a Christian, if that is the will of God, than as an evildoer. I feel that if I suffered for voting for Trump, I would be suffering as an evildoer. Whether or not you agree, I hope you can understand.

Please give my regards to your family.

Love in Christ,

Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment